Thursday, September 25, 2008

Update on the Dissapointing World of Helmet Cameras

A while back I went throught the painful process of trying to aquire a working Vholdr camera. See post below. It worked well for a while, until it started "locking". I could not get the unit to start or stop recording. So I would try to power it off in an effort to "reboot" the unit. It would not power off, so I was forced to remove the battery. This turned it off, but didn't resolve the problem. As a result, I decided I would return the Vholdr camera and try the GoPro helmet camera. I received the GoPro and was immediately impressed with the wide assortment of attachements & extra stickies to mount the camera with. Unlike Vholdr which charges you for every additional attachment. I was also impressed with the buttons on the plastic case that encloses the unit - they worked very well and seemed very tough and rigid. See the VholdR experience post below for some of my difficulties with the VholdR buttons. So, after I finally figured out how to unpack the GoPro, I installed the batteries that came with it and threw in a MicroSD card. Nice not to have to hunt the planet for a special MicroSD card. Mounted the camera on the TOP of my helmet - note top, I wouldn't mount to the side again because when any camera is mounted to the side of the helmet, you won't see your buddies when your turn your head to look back. If this is confusing, place your hand on the side of your head and turn back as though you where casting a glance at the bike behind you. You'll quickly see what I am referring to. Anyhow, took off pressed the power button, heard a faint beep or two and then presses the record button. I could only assume that it was working because the GoPro does not have any audible method of communicating whether it is recording or not. This is a very very big problem and this missing feature alone puts the VholdR miles ahead of the GoPro. Even if you have a semi-working VholdR. So, I took my helmet off to confirm that it was in fact recording and it was. This is confirmed by a large flashing LED. Inside, out of the sun, this light seems really large, but once it's out in the sun you can't see it at all. Went for a short 15 minute blast, came home and watched the video. About 5 seconds in, the video stopped. This was incredible. I emailed support requesting some advice. They immediately called and informed me that the batteries that ship with the GoPro are only good for still photos and to purchase Energize Lithium batteries. I spoke with Royal Distributing and they suggested using Duracell batteries. The lithium are quite expensive, so I tried some Duracell and had the same results. Needless to say, I returned this camera as well. For the headache, I'll pickup a cheap HD camera from Costco, thrown it in a zip lock bag and duck tape it to my helmet. In summary, my opinion is that the helmet cameras have been rushed to market. Over the next 6 months I think we'll see these cameras mature.

3 comments:

kwoz said...

I know this is random, but your post came through in my VholdR google alerts. I work at VholdR, and I am sorry to hear about your camera problems.

Our support team is generally really good about replacing broken cameras, especially since the first batch had some problems like you described. Perhaps you somehow slipped through the cracks.

Rambo said...

Hi Doug, the problems you are expeiencing with the GoPro can all be solved. I have 12 of these Cams and made many excellent movies in harsh conditions. I have just started a GoPro Users Forum and some of these solutions i have posted in there. Eveready Rechargables are the only way to go, i get the full hour + out of them, the reason s are explained in the forum. Believe me these are magical little cams when you have the correct info.

You can see my movies at
http://rambos-locker.blogspot.com
and the forum is
http://goprouser.freeforums.org

I also found your blog thru Google Alerts.
Cheers Rambo

Xhumeka said...

Sounds to me like it wasn't a battery problem - but a memory card issue with the GoPro.

Did the recording actually save to your memory card, or did it get saved to the internal GoPro memory (only about 15 seconds of video can be saved to the internal memory).

I use el-cheapo nimh rechargeable batteries from factorydirect, and I get 1 hour + no problem with them.

If you were trying to use a memory card larger than 2GB with the GoPro, that might have been your problem. You CAN use larger cards, but you need to update the camera with a new flash file (available from website). The cameras as shipped only allow 2GB or smaller cards.